Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Grammar Time...Take 2

This is my second take on this topic.  The first?  The tone...as in mine...swayed to the negative.  Thus, I shall try again.

Currently, our district is researching grammar/language resources that we in the literacy department might utilize next year, for this is one of our weak areas.

Having used many methods, several to the extreme, some not well-implemented at all, I tend to straddle the fence, so to speak, on which resources are the best.  Thus, my final answer to which I prefer?  As in many topics, a blend is the answer.  To say that one source cannot be used is too restrictive.  To demand that only certain resources be used is to limit the diversity among teachers.

This I know.  I love teaching grammar.  I truly love it.  I miss it.   I really do.  Very much.  Maybe one day that pendulum will swing back towards my preferences.

May I ask? What grammar/language resources do you access to better prepare your students for either assessments or to ensure they are college and career ready?  A textbook?  A workbook?  The internet?  Released books by such authors as Jeff Anderson, Don Killgallon, and Kelly Gallagher?  A blend?

May I ask?  How much grammar/language skills are taught each year?  One a nine week, teaching to mastery?  Many mini-lessons, giving a broader overview?  Only those skills needed in the "real" world of work?  Those skills needed for college?  Are you students prepared, making the easy "A" in college?

Please add to this discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment