Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Beginning of the End...

Last evening, I created on a board on Pinterest gathering my thoughts on a new decorative theme for my classroom.  Yes, that signals the end of my summer!  Usually this occurs right after July 4, but the beginning of the end came early this year!

For the past five years, I have used a Cafe theme.  This year, I want to take my color scheme of teal blue, pale yellow, and taupe and give it a nautical-vintage beach feel, using white frames for anchor charts and adding a few nautical pieces around the room.

Sounds soothing to me...might even play beach sounds in the background!

My room, loved my many, has several lamps and comfy chairs, with our seldom using the overhead lighting.  My rationale remains...if I am to be there several hours a day, then this room should be homey.

Ideas continue to bounce around in my head:  canvasses to paint, frames to build, pieces to be purchased, as I settle on the sea of Classroom 16, preparing to sail into my 25th year of teaching.

After the year that I had last year, to be this excited already is truly a blessing.  Being excited...to be redundant...is exciting!

This past week, we spent the first of three days becoming "engaged" (yes, pun intended!) in our new curriculum EngageNY.  While a 24-year-veteran, I am traveling back in time to that first year of teaching, for most of the texts are new to all of us.  While very scripted, this curriculum will either be a salvation or an anchor around our professional necks, as we have had few to any materials provided the last decade; thus, this material provides tremendous opportunities to work together, allowing us to be on the same page, meeting the same standards, while providing some teacher choice as we proceed.

How do I feel about this?

  1. I really liked the units I had created over the last few years, for they were geared to 12th grade and the upcoming realities of the "real world."  
  2. Change can be really good...unless we are just doing it for the sake of change.  Since our state waits in limbo on a decision about our remaining with PAARC or switching to ACT Aspire, I wonder how this might affect this decision to move us all (K-12) to this new curriculum.
  3. If we are all held accountable and this actually strengthens our department, then giving it a 100% is my plan.
  4. If not...I will be struggling to give at whatever percent everyone else does, for no more will I bear the weight/anchor of being the "hard" teacher.  Time for teamwork...from myself included.
Changes!  Changes!

Difference decorations, a more uniform curriculum...yes, I should have much upon which to reflect throughout this academic year.

Sooooo...do you use themes, chosen decorations within your classroom?  Ever heard of EngageNY?  Has the beginning of the end yet begun for you?

Happy summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment