Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Each Class a Home

Yesterday morning I awoke to read an email that no teacher wants to read:  a wreck involving six of students...two fatalities...one critical...

Because yesterday was a scheduled professional development and parent-teacher conference day, the beginning of another new norm starts today.  As I sit here pondering about what today brings, I picture each class coming, going, coming, going...four times this will happen today, each its own little microcosm of unique individuals, personalities, losses, relationships, all affected in some way by this tragedy that has ricocheted off every member of our school family.

My students (and their families as they visit) love my classroom, for we live in a "homey" room:  comfy chairs, lamps, pictures/paintings on the wall.  Today, I pray they find comfort and that healing begins as they enter and leave this house of ours.

Today, though, two of our class/family members will be missing:  one eased into Heaven during that wreck, another recovers in a hospital.  Tomorrow (we are on an A/B block schedule), we will miss another, as he lies critical in another hospital.  The others will be missed next door and in many other classes across our building.

I was asked last night by a grieving grandparent/teacher...should she send her granddaughter or allow her to remain home...so many empty seats today.

My reply?  I suggested she send her...as I will send my daughter.  Today begins healing, as they meet, remember, grieve...and begin our new normal.

This event reminds me that not every day for every student has my classroom always been a home, for I in the busyness of school life get caught up in the just that, of pushing the curriculum, mastering standards, attempting to achieve objectives.  Today, though, is not about busyness...today is about celebrating the lives they lived, the memories they shared...today is about life, whether living it here on earth or in that next life.

If you are a Christian, I ask that you pray for my school family today...thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment