Tuesday, January 10, 2017

2017's My One Word

The below post was written with and for my students in my English classes.
_____________________________________________________________


INTRODUCTION:  My one for 2017 is diligent, continuing a now seven-year tradition from which I have gained much more insight about myself.  In what ways do I need to become more diligent, more conscientious?  I suspect in many, including personal and professional ares of my life.

CHUNK 1:  In some ways, some would say that I chose this word.  Maybe I did, for as the month of December rolls around, I do begin thinking of what my next word will be.  I think.  I read.  I ponder.  I listen.  I read some more.  I awake at night...and think.  This time, no word came.  Until.  Until New Year's Eve...about 10:30.  Then, I knew.  My word would be diligent.

CHUNK 2:  I would say, though, that diligent chose me.  So how does a word choose me?  Hummm...it just happens.  (I know...I am not supposed to use the word it.  That's right...counting on my student NOT reading this!)  So how does a word choose me?  I just feel that nudge, that conviction.  When I think of another word...and I did...my brain just immediately shifts back to this word.  As I assigned this to my word choice to my students, this method worked for some of them, for before I was finished, I heard some saying, "My word is..."  Words do choose people.  Ask them.

CONCLUSION:  For these reasons, I look forward to the results of this word diligent in my life...both its impact on me and the ways in which this word will affect others in my life.  From my previous years' experience, I know this is a life-changing experience...if taken seriously.  Just the other day, a lady shared with me her word...and then her two previous words and the impact they had had on her.  Awesome!













Some harbingers that might suggest this word's success in my life would be...

No comments:

Post a Comment