Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Class Culture...Reflecting

A focus that the Arkansas Literacy Association wants to take during the fall conference this year is culture within the classroom.  This topic "lives" close to my heart.  (Pun intended!)

For example...today...in Cafe Gillmore...we began watching To Kill a Mockingbird, and their homework consisted of bringing a bag of microwave popcorn, for what is a good movie without popcorn!?

They were soooooo good!  Loved it!  Good kids!  Smelled so good in my room today!  Like I was wrapped up in butter!  :)  Then, they cleaned up the "house" and everything!

My theme next year will return to a more intense focus on the word CAFE...collaborating, analyzing, facilitating, elaborating...as we cook up all sorts of literacy dishes.  AND...does this not tie in nicely with what a friend says is one of my love languages...food...?  :)

This was all reiterated as I sat and listened to author/speaker Dave Burgess (Teach Like a Pirate) yesterday morning...thanks to our district for bringing him in to speak to our faculty.  I need to teach more like a chef...and I will! 

Love Burgess' energy!  While his style is not quite mine, I do not want to be that boring teacher, either.  My students should see and hear my passion for what I love to do.  Yes...planning some menus now!

How do you build and cultivate culture within your classroom?  Would love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment