Monday, May 25, 2015

She's a Hard Teacher

These words I have heard about myself...a lot.  Maybe one time too many?

I like to think a synonym for those words is high expectations.

I am just not sure anymore.

This school year, especially the latter part of this spring semester, has been a trial by fire.  Never in all my first 23 years did I have such a trying time as I have had this year.  Obviously, I survived.  I did.

Even before I finished with this group of young adults, I had already begun thinking about next year's class.  Isn't that just like a teacher?! How, after 24 years, though, can I not be so "hard"?  Can I do this?  I think I can.

Here are my concerns:

  1. I always work my students bell to bell.
  2. We seldom have time to watch a movie.
  3. I want more for them than they want for themselves.
  4. I give more than 4-5 grades.
  5. Sometimes, I assign homework.  Rarely.
Here is how I have changed in the last decade:
  1. We have no textbooks.  Six years ago, I received a class of mini-laptops, but wi-fi and maintenance are concerns.
  2. I cover less every year. Much less.
  3. My teaching style is totally different, mostly for the better...I think.
  4. My test scores have decreased.
  5. Every year or so, my department changes its focus. Totally.  We will all be newbies again next year:  all brand-new units.  A fresh start?  (My class is almost half-full!)
Below is what my students wrote and read this year:
  • Five essays (three the first semester; two the second semester).
  • One full-length text, which we read aloud = Macbeth.
  • 1 resume and cover letter
  • 1 speech
  • Wrote two poems
  • Various short texts and short writing assignments
My reality:
  • Less than half of my students will do any homework outside of class.
  • At least one-third are happy with a 59.45 = 60% = Passing!
  • My classes do not contain the AP or those taking concurrent/college credit.
  • Too many of their reading levels are below grade level.
  • Common Core says they should all be college and career ready. 
The Future

I have requested a list of summative assignments from those teaching the same grade level, explaining that no longer can my class be any harder than the other classes.  Right?

This summer, I hope to organize my brain around this concept.  I have a minimum of four years left before retirement. Four years to provide guidance, friendship, laughter, encouragement...no more do I want to be the "hard" one.

I have to be the one to change.  Change even more.

But Then...

What about those returnees, those graduates who return?  Who say, 
  • "Thank you. I was prepared."  
  • "Don't stop teaching that way.  It's really helped me this semester."
  • "I took your advice. It helped my ACT score."
  • "I was the only one who knew what APA format meant."

Hummmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment