Saturday, May 30, 2015

Summer Book Club Choices

School's out!  Time to relax and read...and read and relax!

So far, these books I am committed to read this summer.  Why?  From personal experience, I have learned that because of book clubs, I will read what I might not normally have chosen, and for the most part, this has been such a positive experience.

BHS Reads: This is our school book, which I initiated a few years ago.

  • June:  I Am the Messenger
  • July:  Storm Clouds Rolling In
  • August:  Go Tell the Watchman (I should re-read To Kill a Mockingbird first...right?)
  • BHS Student Book Club...need to finish a some books in the series we began.  See here for that list.
Paper Chase Bookstore Book Club
  • June:  Kisses from Katie
  • July:  The Walk by Richard Paul Evans
  • August:  TBA
Online:  
  • Karen Kingsbury:  Chasing Sunsets
  • Talks with Teachers:  Here, they choose three books a summer:  a nonfiction, a fiction, and a professional development book. 
    • Non-fiction:  The votes are in  and the first read will be Ken Robinson's The Element:  How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything.  
    • Fiction: TBA
    • PD:  TBA
  • Women's Bible Cafe:  I have chosen to purchase and participate in their fiction reads, as I am already committed to two other bible studies this summer.

2015-16 Curriculum Reads:  This fall, our district has chosen to teach to a prescripted curriculum.  I preparation for this change, I hope to read the following:
  • Grade 10
    • The Joy Luck Club
    • Friday Night's Lights
    • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
  • Grade 12
    • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    • Yellow Woman and the Beauty of the Spirit
Other Recent Purchases
  • Conversion by Katherin Howe
Plus...due to busy spring schedules, I need to finish reading The Historian and The Secret Garden, both of which I began for Paper Chase Book Club.

Hummm...I had better get started!  What is in your To Be Read pile?

No comments:

Post a Comment