Saturday, September 3, 2016

Welcome Back...three weeks later

Three weeks back...and just now taking the time to react to 2016-2017!

Take this glimpse into my year...

  1. New room layout.  Like very much.
  2. New English teacher in our department.  Brand new...he just graduated college this past May.  Welcome, Hunter!
  3. Great to be back working with the other two English teachers...all young, all under 30.  All my kids.  Yes, my shoe size continues to increase as I near 50 this year!  I ever more admire that little, ol' woman who lived in the shoe!
  4. Our ELL teacher is also a super friend:  we think alike, pray for each other's "real" kids, and prepare all our others at school for a better life.  Bless her.  She has a heart larger than Arkansas for these students who face such language challenge.
  5. Three preps:  English 12 (three sections), English 10 (two sections), and Teacher Cadet (one section)...brand new class!  Love it!)
  6. Same literary curriculum.  Still attempting to co-exist with it.
  7. Same mentor group.  I like them.  Very much. 
  8. Many students...all unique, all making me laugh and learn.  
  9. My daughter is a senior.  Wow.
  10. Four or more teachers every day joins me for lunch.  Plus, the daughter and at least one or more friend.  Sometimes, a student or two stops by to work.
  11. Preps all before lunch.  Morning flies.  Afternoons very busy!
  12. Hosted first book club meeting and chose our first book of the year:  The Girl on the Train.
  13. Met with our Beta Club officers and held our first meeting.  Lots of energy working for some very good causes.
  14. Wrote our first passage somewhat modeled after the test our state mandated test.  No, not necessarily teaching to the test, just using their model to prepare our students for success within our own classrooms.  After all, this one's main character was Garfield; just don't think he will make it to a state/national exam!
  15. Attended our first football game and watched The Girl do her Athletic Trainer thing.  Proud of her!
  16. Already served many pots of coffee (decaffeinated...please don't tell them, for these kiddos have yet to discover this secret!)  My, what work one can obtain in exchange for this bit of hydration!
  17. Created two of the cutest bulletin boards, using the least amount of work ever, as I recycled some VBS decorations!  This is the only elementary characteristic that resides in my body...planning them, making them, putting them together...I enjoy all of it.
  18. Entered grades...into a new system that I am learning...and learning.
  19. Have more papers to grade.
  20. Student stopped by and asked if I had ordered those books for him.  Uh?  Upon reminding me of the titles, I did!  So cool when a boy loves to read!
  21. Convinced 8-10 football players to read Kwame Alexander's Crossover.  Yay!
  22. Another young lady stopped by and asked if I would host the student book club as she needs a club to join.  Okay.  Note to self:  schedule that first meeting.
  23. Three others stopped and asked if we could continue our read along...or re-read...of the Harry Potter series.  Yes.  Scheduled a date on one of the girl's birthday.  Yes, must have dessert for that one!
  24. At least three days a week, The Girl and I ride together to school.  I am enjoying it...as she will graduate this year.  (I am mentioning that again...allowing it to sink in!)
  25. Chose a young man, a senior with Down's Syndrome, to be the Grand Marshall for our Homecoming Parade.  That selection makes me happy.
  26. Began my 26th year...and was ready to do so!  Here's to at least two more...and probably more than that...of being blessed to work and play all day long in what I was born to do.
Please tell me!  How has the start to your school year been?  

No comments:

Post a Comment