Monday, May 29, 2017

Year 26 Reflections

Such a blessing to acknowledge this number of years in education.  As Year 26 comes to a closure and before I begin thinking too much about Year 26 (already planning!), here are some thoughts:

  1. I have blogged little this year for a couple of reasons:  1) we were still immersed in a curriculum of which we had little choosing, which would have resulted in too much negativity on my part, and 2) I was busy!  I enjoy blogging, though, and, again, am committing to adding my input here.
  2. I had the best of classes this year.  I still work them hard.  Maybe too hard?  I begin to think so, until this year I received the highest of compliments before school was even dismissed when several entered the door, after having tested for two days, saying, "Mrs. Gillmore, we aced that test.  You had us ready." (We'll see...sure hope so!)  Another added, "I was going to take Comp I and II my senior year; now I think I need to take your class so I will be ready to write for college."  Okay.  Thank you.  Good kids.
  3. For the first time, I taught Teacher Cadets, still a fairly new class and move in our state to encourage students to be come teachers, for we have such a shortage of teachers in Arkansas.  The TC's seemed to enjoy the class (received college credit for the second semester), which involved much application...and no tests or extended papers.  Good news!  All ended the year more affirmed than ever that teaching is their correct career choice.
  4. New curriculum coming in 2017-2018!  During the last week of school, our curriculum coordinator met with department and brought the winds of change and new beginnings, after which we met and began the process of selecting essential standards.  We have committed to meet in a week and build the units.  Yes.
  5. At semester this year, my daughter switched English 12 classes and became my student.  This was a good move for us.  Making more precious memories.
  6. I baked at least 75 boxes of brownies this year.  Don't think that is exaggerated by one box.  These kids will work for food!  "We want some of your brownies."  They would work, and I would reward.  Recipe:  purchase two boxes of any brand of brownies from your local grocery story.  Pour ingredients into mixing bowl.  Stir.  Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake for 31 minutes.  Yum!  Easy!  Cheap!
  7. This year I taught three sections of English 12, two of English 10, and one Teacher Cadet class.  I enjoy all levels.  The hours fly by.  Then the weeks...months...until I sit here on my first Monday morning off from Year 26 typing this...reflecting.
What is a highlight from your year?

Now for a few weeks of "down time"...then the fun begins again.  Okay...now for a busy summer...more about in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment