Saturday, August 12, 2017

Year 27 Intentions: Happy New School Year!

Year 27 begins in less than 48 hours!  Never has a year started that I have not been ready.  Just part of that calling rising up within me, I suppose.

Below...Welcome to Cafe 16!  As I wrote on an earlier blog post, I added a bit more orange/coral to my room, which I really like.
CAFE = Collaborating, Analyzing, Facilitating, Elaborating

I posted these pics on a Facebook secondary English teacher group and was validated for my room design.  Our human natures are just weird, deceptive, and often in need of a pat on the human nature head.  I have received 170+ likes and some complimentary comments...and Open House was fun; loved seeing the newbie faces light up, with one student saying, "And this room will be like this all year?"  Yes.  All year!

Yet.

Those two negative comments.

Then, I read a quote on Facebook (which I cannot find at the moment!) about how many seconds are in a week (604,800),  yet a 30 second negative comment can dominate those other 604,770 seconds.

True.

Which leads me to my Intentions (more attainable than resolutions) for 2017-2018 as I prepare to begin my 27th first day of teaching...

Wait!  Shall we do a bit more math:  13 head start/elementary/high school + 4 college + 27 teacher = 44 first days of school for me!  I like that number!

2017-2018 Intentions:

  1. Water off a duck's back.  While I am still learning, I am the veteran.  I have achieved that status.  I know my students.  I know what they appreciate.  I know what they need to know to be "College and Career Ready."  I am the best person in the room to help achieve that this year. Therefore, whatever comes along, whatever is said to me or about me, just let it roll off, for I am the professional in the room.  (That must be a bit what a recovering alcoholic must feel when she repeats the AAA motto:  I am a teacher.  I will always be a teacher.)  Yes!  (First step:  buy a ream of paper to print Day 1 handout for seniors...as we are out...already.  Reminder to self:  water off a duck's back!) NOTE:  A district goal is to go paperless.  Therefore, the "snow syndrome" kicked in...as in at the first hint of snow, the egg, bread, and milk shelves empty in the grocery store.  Goodness!  Water off a duck's back!  (Another side note:  One year, I gave every student a yellow duck, which they named and used as a character in various assignments that year.  Still have mine...except she is teal blue.  Just had a thought:  She shall be my mascot this year!)  
  2. Laugh.  Can't life in a school building be stressful!?  Our new superintendent's motto is "Kids First."  Love it.  (Some job descriptions may need to be rewritten.  There.  Did I just say that?)  Seriously, though, as I told The Husband just this week, most of the people in my building are there because they truly want to work with kids.  Blessed, I am.  Therefore, the joy of the job needs to exude from me!  
  3. Be crafty...as in make more cute bulletin boards and continue Room Design 101.  Seriously (again), I do enjoy making and creating...those bulletin boats are the only elementary characteristic I embody, so I should have fun with it!  (For those who thought crafty might mean sneaky...well...shhhh...:)
  4. Read.  We have new curriculum (again...not sure what number this makes in my 13 years there)...well, not quite new as this is some of the curriculum I used to teach; therefore, I am very...yes, very!...excited to teach some of the texts which I truly think students need exposure.  Beowulf...King Arthur...Canterbury Tales..I know...fun!  These kids of mine are going to read more...just more!  AND they need to read for fun; therefore, I, again, will be buying books they want to read and committing to read books with them.  (Sleep...do I really need sleep?!)
  5. Read.  This year, I want to activate...and keep activated...our BHS Reads...the faculty AND the student book club.  I love books clubs, so much so that I hardly have time to read because I have so many books to read!  Where to begin!  Therefore, I am nearly always reading multiple books, a skill I once said I could not do.  Yes, I can.  Just like multi-tasking.  
  6. Teach.  When my students leave me in May, they will be better writers, readers, and thinkers.  No explanation needed for this one.
What are your intentions for 2017-2018?  Whether it is just to simply survive day to day (you will) or to accomplish the unaccomplishable (no, that is not officially a Webster word...but it should be)...you will!  

Good luck...and Happy New School Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment