Saturday, August 26, 2017

Two Weeks Down...

My 27th year is off to a grand beginning.  Shall I share?

  • New Curriculum...in an old sort of way.  For the first time in several years, we have been the liberty to pick and choose and create units and lessons geared towards our students.  I have so enjoyed teaching/leading/discussing Beowulf...gearing up for a discussion about how trends and daily concerns transcend time.  
  • Student Intern:  This semester Ms. Jordan will learn, grow, teach...maybe even make a mistake or two...as her decision to teach solidifies within her.  I am a bit mixed, as I always am, about handing over classes to her, for I do enjoy teaching, yet I know someone needs to pay back for those who made these very decisions for me...and, well, having a bit of time to plan and prepare more, that is always fun, as I do so enjoy making and creating lessons!  Welcome, Jordan!
  • Methods Class:  Three years have passed since I last taught this class for Lyon College, which means English teacher graduates for our local schools!  A perk of this class is personal, as I am ever encouraged to research and learn and evaluate current literacy trends.  More learning in store for me!
  • Awesome Classes:  Again, I am appreciating the dynamics of each of my classes.  This is always interesting to witness each year.  The mix of personalities, backgrounds, interests...all adding up to every class always being unique...while the same, for kids are kids.  Right?
  • Clubs:  Student leaders have already been in to question and plan for this upcoming year.  I like that, for, one, this keeps me on my toes!  Two, watching these leaders further grow is just a perk.  They truly are our future;  they make me ever proud.  Also, I am again going to host a student book club and am excited about Scholastic's Teen Book Club options.  Very excited, as I have already begun filling out my own book order!
What are some highlights of your year thus far?  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment