Tuesday, September 19, 2017

My Favorite Trend: Book Clubs

Last evening, I met with two book clubs...yes, two in one day!

Our local White River Reading Council met to discuss our adult read The Fall of Marigolds (this is also our BHS Reads Faculty Book Club book for the month).  The purpose of this group is to spread the love of literacy within our community.  As I looked around, I noted only teachers.  As I sat, I listened to the discussion about involving more community.  Hummm...on this I need to work!

Later, for the Arkansas Reading Association, I helped host our fourth author/book this year...Danny Brassell's The Reading Makeover.  Using Facebook Video, a new format for us, participants engaged with the author for an hour, discussing his love for reading, his passion for poetry, and his joy in spreading the love of literacy.

For both groups, I wish more, I want more, I see more.  How does one spread the love of literacy? The answer:  One has to be in love with literacy.  This I do not observe from those whose supposed passions are for books and more books.

Why not?

  1. Time.  Isn't life just too crazy busy?  After a full day, after checking in to all social media sites, after vegging for just a few minutes/hours, what time remains for books?  The brain just needs a break, right?  For me, this answer exudes too much, too many excuses for not engaging with the text of a novel.  
  2. Money.  Books cost.  That is the dollars and cents of this argument, especially the latest and most popular.  
  3. Talk-time.  Some teachers treat books talks as a passing trend.  Myself included?  As I think back on the previous five weeks of school (yes, five already!), the number I have talked is dismal, all hidden by the facade of "we have so much to cover today."
  4. Hummmm...must stop this list, for I simply see a list of excuses beginning to pile up...larger and higher.
One take-away from last night's book club...read more poetry.  While this may sound as if I am digressing, I hope to connect a love of words to topics and connect to books...and a true passion of mine...yes, literacy!

Today, I will find time to read!

What are you reading good?

________________________

In hopes of building our community of readers, I invite YOU to join either or both of the above book clubs!  Please join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment