Sunday, January 29, 2023

The Compliments: Words Have Power

On Thursday afternoon, as tutoring was finishing, my one attendee (who just needed a place to hang out) said, as she was leaving, "I like your outfit.  As a matter of fact, I like all your outfts.  I really like your boots."

"Why, thank you.  My daughter gave me these boots.  I sometimes get shoes that don't quite fit her," said I, chattering, as my brain began to process how what she said was impacting me.

As I drove about finishing up an errand, I thought much about she had said...or had not said, for besides the "free" boots, every piece of that day's ensemble was an item I had purchased at a different time, all of which had been on sale. Yes, I am cheap...or, as I like to think, I love a bargain!

Another interesting aspect of this is that I am 56, at least 40 years older than she is, which means she is either an "old" soul, I am more stylish than I had realized, or she needed to bond over something more we have in common (we both love to read!).  I hope...seriously...that this might be a result of a combination of all three!  Or...maybe...I am a younger, more stylish teacher than I realized.  {Laugh out loud!}

Also, I would note that I am probably quite conservative in my dress style, which means in high school land that I don't wear low-cut tops nor does anyone want to see my midriff!  Very seriously about that!

This positive encounter sent me back nearly that 40 years to my senor year in high school where, by my peers, I was voted "Best Dressed," to a time where nearly all my clothes were either bought at yard sales or "home-made."  My family was not destitute; my mom's hobby was simply hitting every yard sale in our surrounding area every Thurday, Friday, and Saturday morning...early...and buying the best (of what we wanted) at each and every one.  Every week from early spring until late fall, until yard sale season was over for the year.  I tagged along with her, for I got more if I did!  Yes, I, also, recall sometimes not getting out of the car if the yard sale was in our immediate little town, especially our neighborhood.  Yes, just a touch of pride...?...as I would then wash and wear those clothes to school that next week, for I had something "new" to wear!  Was really fun for us...and probably began my clothes-combining addiction!

I do not yard sale much now, but I do love a good bargain (Thank you, CATO, for having such good sales!)  Time and work is a factor...but...maybe one day when I retire, I can see enjoying that hobby again.  (One does need clothes for all those retirement activities, right?!)

This reminds me of another student's comment just a few weeks ago when she noted, "I like that outfit. I have noticed that you hardly ever wear the same outfit twice."

I attempted to deny this...and, then, she corrected herself with an outfit she remembered my having worn more than once.

Oh my.

I might have a problem.  For real.  Maybe?  (Or...I could just reside in the land of denial!)

The significant results of these two conversations?  

  1. Students pay attention.  
  2. They are watching us.
  3. Students need role models:  teachers who dress professionally, teachers who dress for the job, teachers who care about presentation.  Every day.
Another result?  Students' words have power, too.  Even as I type this, I feel the impact of both of those students' compliments.

Yes, words...and presentation...have power.

What powerful words have been spoken over, about, or to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment