Tuesday, April 5, 2016

NPM: #5

In honor of National Poetry Month, I am attempting to write a poem a day.

Dedicated to my first great, great niece.
_______________________________

Great Squared

Today, you did me the honor great
Of making several of us even greater.

Mimi now is Great Mimi.
Joe, Micah, and Melanie all one great indeed.

Janet, Joe, and myself...
Well, we are great greats.

How absolutely delightful these titles you give
Enough to share; no, not competitive.

Speaking of titles and names,
I do hear that dad has upon you
Already a nickname bestowed.
Girlfriend, these endearments have only just begun.

Your namesake, between me and thee,
Raelynn...
That name I spoke much in high school.
A friend of mine, oh, so cool,
Too shared your name.

Just a moment on Lynn we should focus.
Without a doubt a plus,
For I, too, share that name.
Raelynn.
Tammy Lynn.

One more title you should know.
I. Am. A. Baby. Whisperer.
Just breathe those wants out.
Through coos, never should you doubt,
My ears shall perk, ever alert,
To share you needs and wants.
First pacifiers, rattlers, and baby dolls,
Though none so pretty as you.

One more title we should discuss.
Jesus dearly loves His children.
Yes, He loves you,
So today you made Him happy,
For with that first breath you took,
He, too, upon you did look.

While you may not yet know,
You are one blessed little girl,
For today, you set many hearts a whirl.

Those other names not mentioned?
They are going to love you much.
Go ahead and let them spoil you,
For this you do deserve,
For nine months of working to arrive,
That, my dear, deserves some sweet high fives.

Again, thanks for making me great squared.
Please know I am prepared
To wear my new name with a flair,
For this I do declare...
That being Great Great Aunt Tammy is
An honor, a moment full of bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment