Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Senior Seminar Board - Yikes and Yay!

This year, our department reinstated the Senior Seminar Board...a very good decison...one that requires much work and much diligence in adhering to the schedule, for once the days the board will arrive are set, all documents have a hard deadline!

The seniors are meeting this deadline...and showing up and showing out, professionally, that is!  I am so very proud to them!

In their honors...and because this is National Poetry Month, below is my poem dedicated to them and this event:

College and Career Ready

Day by day, the teacher did assign,
Choosing the lessons to align,
To ensure her students the school motto met.
Her students' skills gained an asset.

College and career ready, they say.
You can do this, she did parlay.
To often, their achievements underplayed.
Not here, though, their futures an extended highway.

Each assigned.
Each accomplished.
A resume.
A paper.
A speech outline.
A Google presentation.
Dressed up for their oration.

All heroes and herones on these speaking days
As heart rates speeded, running many verbal relays.
Shaking knees and shaking hands,
Prepared to reach the bar, their teacher understands.

Proud they are, breathing silent sighs of relief.
Mental high-fives, huge smiles signifying belief.
Forget all the moans.  Forget all the groans.
Forget all the "I can't's."  Forget all the work zones.

Today, they came.
Today, they spoke.
Today, they answered.
Today, they "Thank you"ed.
Today, they proved "College and Career Ready."

So proud she is, this teacher of theirs.
In these proud moments, she shares.
She thinks they can.
She knows they can.
They prove they can.

I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can.

Simply became.

I can.

I am.

College and Career Ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment