Friday, April 24, 2015

An Author Opportunity

Thanks to my friend Rose, I appreciated the time spent with book lovers and writers this past weekend.  Fun!

Arkansas's Harding University and Dr. Ken Stamatis host four author weekends a year, bring young adult authors to our state, creating a hiatus for teachers and lovers of the written word.  Each seemed to enjoy getting to know Roland Smith, author of novels and non-fiction that seem to particularly appeal to males.

While I do not remember reading any of his works, I do now owned two signed novels:  Peak and IQ.

I especially appreciated his discussing the amount of prewriting that goes into writing a novel, all the research that must be conducted, the immersion into a topic.  He then reiterated the intensity of the revising and editing process.  This, I hope to share with my students who seem to quick to draft and print, often totaling skipping these vital steps.

Check out these authors on the 2015-2016 Young Adult Authors Weekend:

  1. Katherine Paterson:  Bridge to Terabithia (need I say more?!)
  2. Deborah Wiles:  Revolution, Countdown
  3. Kwame Alexander:  Crossover
  4. TBA
Now, imagine being able to take young adults to meet and listen to these authors!  That's my dream...to take two students per session, two that are involved in our student book club. I have a dream...to write a grant and receive the funds to make this happen.  I hope.  I dream.  I will write.


Now, I read...the weekend has arrived, my papers are graded, time for well-deserved reading time!

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment