Saturday, April 11, 2015

NPM: Poem 11

In celebration of National Poetry Month, I am attempting to write a poem a day.  Fun!

I Wore Black

Out of respect,
Out of honor,
Two days this week, I wore black,
pausing in the celebration of the liberation of white:
White shoes,
White pants,
White purse.
White has been liberated,
From law, from social dominion.

Two days this week, though, I wore black,
For respect does never lack,
To set aside, to pay that last respect
To those who lived life fully.

One should pause in acknowledgement
As a testament,
To lives spent here as a witness to many,
Storing up crowns aplenty.

Both dads to friends,
One a student, one a peer.
My sympathies to both so sincere.
One too young to be fatherless.
One still not old to be be fatherless.
Only fatherless here, for both await reunited to be
With father and Father.

This week, I wore black.
Twice.
Honored I was.
Honored I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment